Sunday 8 December 2013

Final Crit photo backing paper

Final Crit photo backing paper

Presented this design sheets with presentations of he portrait formats in there varying dimensions, typeface used and its weights and the colors used. I asked 3 questions:

Do these visuals meet the functiolism and De Stijl Movment?
Its very over complex as i don't even know what it is.
Yes.
To an extent yes, the colours in particular remind me of Mondrian and the De Stijl movement.
Yes the colours remind me of it.
Really yes, gorgeous designs, love it.

What famous artist/architecture or artwork do these designs remind you off?
It reminds me of Bauhaus, not sure why you have chosen Bauhaus though. 
No idea.
Piet Mondrian, square layout, red, blue & yellow etc.
Unsure.
Mondrian?.

Have I created designs that have swayed away from minalism and versatility?
Yes its very minimal.
Sure.
There are elements of minimalism within the designs. 
Still aspects of minimalism id say.
Id say it is minimalist, but presents info nicely, gorgeous colour selection and composition.

The responses from these helped decide if my overall concept and visuals communicated met what I originally intended to communicate in the interim crit and the initial ideas generation and concept stage. 
Responses vary with all but one agreeing on the influences of the De Stijl movement which is a positive aspect of my design outcomes. I am happy with this as the visuals communicated an obvious artistic influence that derived from a creative discipline outside of graphic design which displays diversity in my influences and inspiration. 

Responses to the second question showed that most people understood the visual influences and it reminded them of the artist (Piet Mondrian) I based the aesthetics on through use of colour, visual grid and composition. One response said it reminded them of the Bauhaus, they were unsure why but I was happy with this because there is obvious links between architectural design aspects and design principles that inspired designers within the Bauhaus and the De Stijl Movement so this response although negative had underlying positive aspects.

The final responses were all positive with everyone agreeing on minimalism and versatility been displayed even with the use of colour and grid elements. So overall I am happy with feedback and it strengthens my own thoughts on the concept been successful. Having a fresh set of eyes that have there own styles and influences understand my designs and give me positive feedback only aids the idea of versatility which I wanted to portray in my visuals. The only negative response on understanding the visuals still linked in with the minimalism movement in the Bauhaus movement which still has obvious links with my concept especially due to the use of typeface Univers Std been made by Bauhaus alumni Adrian Frutiger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment