Friday 6 December 2013

Photo backing paper finals & evaluation

Photo backing paper finals & evaluation 

From my idea progress post which derived from the interim crit and how I will take suggestions and combine them with original concepts and ideas and how I will combine this all with future conceptual influences.

The elements I used the most out of this list were the use of simplicity and legible, De Stijl influences, experimentation within a set grid, needs to work in a variety of frame styles, produce a high end product range, stuck to Ikeas Ovraby range and stayed with the idea of minalism.

Presented here are my final 3 outcomes displaying there required dimension information. My initial concept was versatile and universal design, through word association and ideas generation ideas of aesthetics and concepts along the lines of accuracy, consistency, pastels, neutral and minimalism. There was obviously more but these formed the base of were my finals developed from.

Taking a bank of visual inspiration combined with concepts of the De Stijl movement and the Functionalism movement which derived from the term Minimalism I created a design style that emulated these concepts through use of color, typography & composition. I feel I met my initial idea of creating a design outcome that would work upon many frame styles. I feel this final outcome portrays consistency through its 3 different sizes has a neutral feel throughout with minimalist elements and contexts of De Stijl movement through the use of 3 primary colors and the use of the visual grid. Concepts of Functionalism are presented in an essence, I don't feel I met this as well as I could. The idea of Functionalism is too create outcomes specifically for the purpose of the structure or artwork, I was told to make a backing paper and this is not instantly recognizable until the image is added into the context of the photo frame. 

But apart from that I feel I met my other set targets of creating a minimalist outcome with obvious conceptual concepts within the aesthetics of the design. In the interim crit I was told to use bold colors so it was beneficial that I stumbled across the De Stijl movement and there use of the primary colors, I calmed this boldness down a little with the use of a pastel yellow/cream background to create less contrast and tie all the visual elements in together to create a more structured outcome with a consistent tonal range.

My target market was the high end market within the Ikea range. I took Ovraby a mid range line of products and added a touch of high end aspects through the use of contemporary type layouts and color additions inspired by Piet Mondrian's grid and primary color paintings which can be found in contemporary interior design stores in a format of wall mounted canvas's so this was an interesting way in incorporating a popular design into my frame backing paper to attract high end target markets. 

Overall I feel I met my initial concepts and through continuous conceptual research and additional visual inspirations I created a well developed design outcome that took influence from peer feedback, historical & conceptual influences and visual influences from aesthetic inspirations. If I was to create this outcome again I would create less clutter within the design outcome, this was a piece of advice I got in the interim crit, I removed clutter to a certain degree but it was suggested I just stick to a 2 color scheme but due to my influences from the De Stijl concept I needed the 3 primary colors in the design. Creating a design outcome with these colors also helps represent how a photo with different color ranges in it would work within the frame format.

The use of Univers std in roman and bold formats strengthens the concept of versatility. Designed by Adrian Fruitger in 1954 a neo-grotesque sans serif typeface used by many swiss and german design and architectural companies who created very structured and minimalist design outcomes I felt these past uses would subconsciously strengthen my concept of functionalism and minimalism. 


Frame in context of a frame, the color scheme works very well with the dark brown frame and the robust nature of its construction. There is a contrast within the light tonal range of the backing image and the dark tones in the frame itself but it still works, this pleases me due to me wanting to create something that is versatile and that works in context with different frame styles and colors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment