Monday 14 October 2013

OUGD403 Design Skills - Alphabet Soup - Typeface

OUGD403 Design Skills - Alphabet Soup - Typeface

To inform development more upon my contextual research on my partner I have included an image of her handwriting to try base my manipulation around this and the facts I have gathered around her. 


I have been working on some rough design ideas deriving from my contextual research into Braille and mechanics and formed a basis upon my word association. I am looking forward too the interim crit as I feel i am at bit of a dead end on were to take my ideas and concepts. I have a few basic ideas worked on favoring the dots idea derived from Braille. A way in which I could experiment and develop this is form a grid system to create different outcomes quickly experimenting with abstract layouts with minimal legibility and more legible clear cut outcomes. Once this is established I will try bring one or more of the chosen 3 typefaces into it as shown in idea 3 on the bottom image. Keeping a singular element of the dot keeps a sort of focus point upon the letterforms concept.

After discussion with my girlfriend late at night she mentioned the idea of roman numerals so I briefly played about with deconstructing the Casion typeface with these visual elements. 

Si scott is someone I want to look into now after playing about with mechanical inspired spiral style letterforms seen in idea 4. These intricate letterforms could really give off the idea of mechanics and Helens love of illustrative hand made and handcrafted style. It will be nice to see how my ideas can be informed to be brought forward into polished outcomes through a group crit. I feel I have a diverse range as it stands just more clarity is needed in terms of a strong visual response and supporting concept.


No comments:

Post a Comment