Wednesday 13 November 2013

Illustrator Typeface Final

Illustrator Typeface Final

Presented here is the final outcome of my illustrator brief. I was required too create a manipulated typeface on a word given to us at random and style this around a given typeface. Mine been Garamond and Symmetry. 
The typeface followed suit from this letter from my 10 examples based on symmetry. 

The concept is to use a visible axis point on diagonal strokes or whatever axis point can be used on other letterforms to keep this concept of mirroring and symmetry going on. Through development on elements that didn't have reflected serifs I created a pointed splice on the same angle as this, this is evident in letterforms: I, J, K, F etc. 

As you can see the concept run throughout having a visual angular stroke on most letterforms. It seemed to work best on square, sturdy structured glyphs, on some letterforms the splice had to be repositioned horizontally or vertically but everything still remains constant and still emulates symmetry. 

The outcome was printed from the digital print resource in a 4x7 grid on an A2 stock. I placed my word and typeface in context with a line of symmetry that reflects both words along a baseline point. A nice little finish to apply my concept to something in context. 

I am happy with the final outcome, it obtains subtle changes within the anatomy like simple squaring of the serifs to create a clean and crisp glyph that supports the dismantling of elements and reflection along a set 45degree axis/mirror point. It maintains a good consistency the letterforms that I don't particularly like are the S, and the H. If anything stands out it these due to there obvious horizontal separation. But it still portrays the concept well. What I would like to do with something that has these clean, architectural kind of sharpness within its aesthetics is print it on acetate. It would create less distraction away from the letterforms and create a very clean overall feel, and would also emulate an actual mirror. It would be interesting to create a stencil from these too, as it has that kind of stencil feel. 


No comments:

Post a Comment