Thursday 13 February 2014

Secret 7 Finals & crit feedback & Evaluation

Secret 7 Finals & crit feedback & Evaluation 

Submitted final resolutions ready for my final crit. 

Bellow are my final resolutions that I submitted. The idea behind the Duff can Cover was based on the visualisation of how Jakes passion for guitar was sparked by watching The Simpsons. The guitar string been wrapped around the can simulates a visual of the lyric "set me free" the guitar string is "trapping" the can. 

The idea of morphing the image of the can creates an abstract aesthetic that links with the track name "strange creatures" and the surreal feel I got from the lyrics. 

The halo cover was influenced by a youtube comment I found from a fan saying "the guitar sounds like an angel". I loved this quote so i decided to visualise it in a way that is easily linked back to angels, so a halo proved the best image to use to denote angels.  

The idea of the guitar string been wrapped round the halo again derives from the lyric "set me free", it simulates the halo been "trapped".

I morphed the halo to simulate & visualise an abstract aesthetic of the concept of a perspective been changed. This idea of a perspective been changed comes from the dark lyrics of nightmares and how it contrasts with the visuals of heaven. 

The production used in these compositions are influenced by Jakes stripped back style of music production. (simple and minimal layout compositions)
The analogue illustration techniques (Watercolour & fine liner) used are influenced by the traditional style of Jakes music and his style. 
The colour & tonal schemes in the Duff can composition connote the season autumn which reminds me off farming which reminds me of the country (Jakes country music style). They are also very rustic wich has obvious links with jakes rustic fashion influences. 

The halo image uses pale shades of blue with primary colour contrasting yellow, these 2 colours connote heaven to me, the blue simulates the sky which links in well with the idea that angels are from heaven and the halo is floating in the sky within the frame of a 7inch album cover. 
Crit Feedback
I presented the above 2 designs too my group of 4 peers. I already had very positive feedback from the last crit with equal amounts of positive feedback been given on all my designs so It was more of a personal option on what to take forward to the final stage, but I took forward the Duff can that people admired for the aesthetics and colour, and the halo image that simon favoured due to its unique concept.

Feedback was positive overall with people favouring the analogue illustration techniques over the vector resolutions I produced previous. They felt the style of illustrations had a more traditional feel to them agreeing that it simulated a traditional style a lot more. I had good feedback on the colour schemes worked and how well the backgrounds worked with the visual images, the backgrounds complimented the images and created a nice contrast and they liked the pastel tones and more desaturated tones worked well with the traditional style illustrations. The only negative feedback was that the morphing of the halo changed the aesthetics and it didn't really represent a halo anymore, but I felt this worked with the abstract perspective I perceived from the strange creatures lyrics and how it represented a change of perspective relevant to the lyrics "nightmares".

Evaluation
Very happy with my final outcomes I produced, really enjoyed using traditional drawing mediums to communicate an idea rather than relying on digital techniques. I feel the use of traditional mediums has helped me conceptually portray Jakes traditional style of music, along with the toned down pastel shades which demonstrate the softness within his lyrics. 

I also learnt how to really push the idea stage, creating over 50 initial rough ideas really allowed me to create unique outcomes and fully exhaust all possibilities resulting in stronger more considered design outcomes.

I also learnt to think more conceptually as I will go into more detail later, instead of thinking laterally and obviously to the song and its lyrics producing a monotone type of design thats obvious to the song lyric I learnt to look at other sources, branch off from subtle elements within the lyrics, really stretch the ideas allowing me to arrive at more unique and out of the box solutions. And looking into other peoples opinions, my halo idea derived from a youtube comment and I twisted this comment translated it into a visual and added visuals that are relevant to the lyrics in there too. 

My favourite element was the subtle additions to the can and halo to simulate the songs lyrics, as mentioned there were lyrics saying "set me free" so the addition of a guitar string trapping the can really helped connote this lyric, and the use of a guitar string shows Jakes primary instrument used in his songs. The warping of the images shows the element of "nightmares" within the mood of the song and lyrics of strange creatures. All these elements helped me make quite considered visuals.

If I was to do this again though I would look at the image making medium more, I didn't get into the competition and after looking at drawings that used traditional mediums like me the detail in them was incredible. If I produced this again I would look into more abstract digital techniques so it would carry a more unique style. 

No comments:

Post a Comment