Monday 17 March 2014

Movie poster interim crit & further action plan

Movie poster interim crit & further action plan

Todays interim crit the whole group went round leaving feedback on peoples work that was laid out on the tables. 

I presented my 10 ideas out with the following questions.

Strongest 3 designs?

Improvements?

Do the concepts work?

The ideas that received the stronger feedback were thee bellow. With the first one receiving almost unanimous feedback and I agree with this as i feel it has the most potential. 



Due to the range of designs i produced its often easy to get lost in them all when it comes to choosing a final selection to develop so I am going forward with the above 3 that received the majority vote from peers. The first as mentioned happens to be my favorite design and as mentioned in the previous development the use of symbols and characters gives me opportunity to explore my own cryptic language of symbols and glyphs.

Everyone who left feedback agreed all my concepts worked so this fills me with confidence to go on and digitize these 3 ideas that can be then developed into one solid final. 

I will sum up Improvements that were suggested relevant to the 3 designs I am taking forward.

Experiment with inverting the designs (Black background, white text)
Experiment with fonts & colors.
Play around with hand rendered type with the cross word idea as the imperfections of handwriting give it personality.
Lose the date on the word search inspired idea. 
Look into lines of code like the matrix.

Plan of action.
The above feedback will form my next stage of the project were I intent to go ahead and digitize the 3 designs ready for selection of the final for screen print production. 

I plan on playing around with colors to communicate emotions of action and mystery (relevant to the cracking of the government code). 
Also I still plan on going forward with the use of metallic silvery inks to emulate "mercury"
I will try out inverting elements of type, I feel the word search one may work well with inverted type colors. 
As mentioned a few people favored hand rendered type, I will experiment with different styles of handwriting looking ad illustrators Kate Sutton & Mr Bingo as they have nice aesthetics within the writing on there illustrations. 
I will go forward with losing the date on the word search puzzle, and as I mentioned I want to create my own cryptic language I will combine this experimentation in with the idea of creating lines of visual code like the matrix. 
Looking at colors like black and green will communicate coding through the common connotation and link with the film matrix. Simple white type on black background would also work too, this reminds me of when computers went into safe mode, that square style of pixel based fonts also reminds me of computing and coding so looking into font use like this would be good.
Finally I will play around with fonts and colors to create a more successful high impact yet legible poster design. 

Its important to consider a few other factors when creating a design and take them into account within the idea generation.
Problem I am solving? The problem I need to solve is a way in presenting the storyline of the film in an interesting and engaging way that isn't too literal and obvious to the films synopsis. 
Audience? The audience of the film itself will be to action film lovers, so the film needs to present visuals that connote action. But the general audience as a whole will be a viewer of the poster, the poster would in context be presented in public spaces so the target audience is quite ranged from young, to old to people with completely different interests. The main aspect of a successful poster would be to create it high impact to draw this audience in, keep it clear and concise within the use of language, keep visuals legible and readable for ease of communication quickly as people wont want to be standing around for long it needs to be a quick hit of memorable information and I feel simple, clean, legible and high impact design is the way to go. 
Context? The context of the poster would be one of the 3 ideas. 2 of these ideas would be visuals inspired by the main storyline of decoding a message through a simple word puzzle (abstract word search & crossword) The other a combination of this element of decoding and coding combined with abstract visual representation of bullet holes and blood. 
Method of delivery? The method of delivery will be that of a poster, the poster will be limited to a 2 colour screen print plus the paper stock so a possibility of a coloured background is possible. My 3 ideas I plan on digitising will incorporate vector imagery, typography in the form of hand rendered and digitally rendered. The production method will be 2 colour screen print. 

No comments:

Post a Comment