Friday 10 January 2014

Layout Crit

Layout Crit

Today was a beneficial day. We had to create a quick turn around of a mock up off a layout design that would form a base for the other 4 page layouts. We only needed to have 1 digital mock up created and a plan on how the rest were to be created. The crit allowed me to gain some confidence in creating the next 4 designs around this base theme

This is what i created, a 4x6 modular grid with 5mm guttering. 

I asked 3 questions to half of the group who were in my slot, the questions and answers are as followed:

Initial concept thoughts were accuracy to simulate mechanics in F1 engineering & the contrast of modern and traditional elements. 

Does the use of color and typeface simulate traditional and modern?
Yes when i looked at it I thought it had a weird combination of both.

Yes although I think its more of "Downtown Abby traditional" vibe. I think you might be off using a sans serif font. 

Yes however I would change the layout of your 1st page to something like this. 
THE LEGEND
&
THE LIVING LEGEND

Yes but too traditional? Reminds me off old novels, maybe sans serif.

Yes it is it looks like a book.

Yes love it, simple yet clear.

Perhaps the serif typeface doesn't portray F1.

If not how could i emulate this through type and color?
I think you could use yellow paper stock which is more traditional looking. 

Sans serif font, red black and treys commonly used in F1.

Use the team colors of Ayrton Senna and Vettel over a 50/50 split.

Sans serin for 1st page look into team colors and branding but don't over complicate things. 

Try make it more like a manual? 

I think the colors work well.

Think minimalist works well however not sure on the color, have you considered any others. 

I think it looks too minimal, what do you think?
I agree, it needs something "more" try to look at the books about sports legends, websites articles etc.

It adds to the modern vibe you are trying to simulate. 

You could incorporate the shape of the Imola track somehow (the track he died on), look at the differences in the cars between Sennas Era and Vettels and use the shape.

Not too minimal, like the cleanness off 2 but first page should be this style too, really easy to understand, its like a top trumps set and you could try incorporate speed into it, i think it needs that extra edge. Nice work!

Yes would say so.

Nah, minimal is good.

Overall I was happy with my feedback as it has give me some substance to work off. The main elements I am going to be taking forward is the alteration into color as it portrays a more novel based traditional style with the combined use of serif fonts. I will look into team colors of the 2 drivers and the formula one color scheme of red, black and grey while keeping the serif font. If the serif still overpowers the sans serif then I will try out an entire sans serif type choice as suggested, I will try out different alignments of the type in the first page as suggested but i sort of like the one singular line. The minimalism feedback gave me confidence in the fact that it isn't too minimal people agree it portrays a modern vibe and cleanliness. The final thing I will look into as suggested is the 50/50 split of team colors of Senna and Vettal, after following this advice I feel a stronger outcome will be achieved with this same system of modular grids, color scheme and type choice can be used throughout to maintain consistency and order within the layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment